The Bill is passed in LokSabha (Constitutional Amendment) to ensure reservation in promotions of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in Government jobs. Similar amendments were enacted in 1995, 2000 and 2002, but failed to serve the purpose completely.
The Supreme Court’s stand on reservation in promotion (2006) was as follows:
Before giving promotions the state must demonstrate
- Inadequacy of representation
- Maintenance of efficiency
Details on the new bill for “Reservation in Promotions”
- Article 16 (4A) is the article which is planned to be amended (117th Constitutional Amendment).
- The requirements on the clauses like inadequacy of representation and maintenance of efficiency will be edited (or removed) in new Article 16(4A).
- The Bill is for SC and ST and not for OBCs.
It is a fact that SC and ST are under represented in the upper levels of bureaucratic power. Though Equality of Opportunity is the governing principle behind reservations, the vote bank politics is another major factor for Bills like these. There is no division of Creamy Layer for SC/ST as in the case of OBCs and this ensures even the undeserved get the benefit of promotions. Will this system divide our government offices along caste lines?